- English 5 explores all areas of the communication arts with the added aim of challenging students and stimulating their interest in linguistics, literature, and writing.
- Literature studies include fables, short stories, nonfiction, biography, poetry, drama, and novels.
- Composition instruction emphasizes understanding and establishing effective paragraph structure, beginning to develop full-length essay skills, and learning and practicing editing methods.
- Process writing will be used for all composition efforts.
SPEAKING AND LISTENING PROFICIENCY
- Speaking and listening proficiency will be practiced through formal presentations and drama.
- Correct usage, parts of speech, sentence structure, and vocabulary enrichment will be addressed through student writing about literature, selected topics, and exercises.
- Critical thinking skills will be applied throughout the course.
- Place value of whole numbers and decimals
- Decimal operations
- Fraction concepts and operations
- Variables and expressions
- Order of operations
- Graphing ordered pairs
- Ratio, proportion and percent
- Perimeter and area
- Mean, median and mode
Age of Exploration
The Young Republic
- Understanding the scientific processes and developing language concepts and vocabulary related to science
- Mixtures, solutions, and energy
- Participate in science fair