- English 8 explores all areas of the communication arts with the added aim of challenging students and stimulating their interest in linguistics, literature, and writing.
- Literature studies include short stories, nonfiction, poetry, drama, and novels.
- Composition instruction emphasizes understanding and using more precise and effective paragraph structure, mastering full-length essay skills, and improving revision and editing methods.
- Process writing will be used for all composition efforts.
SPEAKING AND LISTENING PROFICIENCY
- Speaking and listening proficiency will be practiced through formal presentations and drama.
- Correct usage, parts of speech, sentence structure, and vocabulary enrichment will be addressed through student writing about literature, selected topics, and through exercises.
- Critical thinking skills will be applied throughout the course.
- The real number system
- Properties of numbers
- Solving multi-step equations and inequalities
- Linear equations and their graphs
- Systems of linear equations and inequalities
- Properties of exponents
- Polynomials and factoring
- Rational expressions and equations
- Quadratic functions and equations
- Rational and irrational square roots
- The Civil War: The Nation Breaks Apart: 1861-1877
- A Growing America: 1850-1920
- The Beginning of Modern America: 1868-1920
- Boom Times and Challenges
- Prosperity, Depression, and War: 1929-1945
- Postwar America
Understanding the scientific processes and developing language concepts and vocabulary related to science
- Introduction to Matter
- The Atom and Elements
- Interactions of Matter
- Motion and Forces
- Work, Machines, and Energy
- Waves, Sound, and Light
- Participates in the Science Fair